A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Playing the Automated Customer Service Game

Instead of Customer Service is should be called Wasting My Time Service!

Yup, it's venting time! I spent I don't know how long on the telephone with a very "well-known" company. (Of course, won't mention any names here.) But, this company is not only well-known for their products, they're supposed to be well-known for their customer service.

Hello, and thank you for calling XXX!
If you're calling for XXX please press 1...
If you're calling for YYY please press 2...
If you're calling for ZZZ please press 3...
If you're calling for OOO please press 4...
For all other calls please press 5...
To repeat this menu please press 6...

(1 Pressed)
If you're calling for XXX and you're III please press 1...
If you're calling for YYY and you're AAA please press 2...
If you're calling for ZZZ and you're BBB please press 3...
If you're calling for OOO and you're CCC please press 4...
For all other calls and you're DDD please press 5...
To repeat this menu please press 6...
To return to the main menu please press 9...

Okay, I'll stop now but, you get my point! Only to be put on hold over and over and over again. This is Customer Service? This is what these people are praised upon? Boy, I sure am glad being a work at home mom I can put the personal touch back into Customer Service! Remember that and we'll always have the edge!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    What I think I love the most about those "menus", is after you enter all that stuff you are transfered to someone that has no idea why you are calling or who you are. Even if you enter your account number/phone number (whatever associates you with the company), and press a million specific reasons as to why you are calling. What was all that for if you have to repeat it to a live person?

    I usually try skipping it all by pressing zero at the start of it all. Even if it's not given as an option, it will usually take you to a "live person" or get you on hold faster. What a pain!

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Anita said…

    Kara...
    Thats another thing that drives me insane! Why do I have to punch all those numbers and submit all the information to have to repeat it to the person I'm talking to?!? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense...just a little more of wasting my time!

    Patty...
    Thats kind of funny too! The entire time I was on the phone I kept thinking of your article on customer service.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home