A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Reality of a WAHM

When we are just starting out, many of us have huge dreams of working at home and spending all the time in the world with our children. The fact is, to get a business off the ground takes more long hours than a 9-5 job.

This article I found talking about what it's really like to own a business has a lot of truth to it. It's a real wake up call to some. About the only thing I really don't agree with is the mention of working all day, from morning to night. This can be a very dangerous practice, and not productive either.

When I first started, I worked those long hours. From 8am until midnight, or sometimes even up to 2am. You would think with that many hours I would be extrememly successful. WRONG! I was lacking sleep, energy, and productivity. It wasn't until I pushed myself to the very max, working with a slight headache that turned into a massive migrane (the first I had EVER had - I have zero history of bad headaches), that I realized I needed to slow down.

After being sick for a few days, I decided to set businesses hours. The results were amazing. I felt better, I slept better, and I am MUCH more productive. The work I use to do in 16 hours magically turned into 8 or less. It wasn't until I set business hours that my income started to climb.

I believe in the theory "you get more done when you have less time to do it". It really is true! When I set certain goals for myself to accomplish in a set time period, I work faster. I want time with my family, and time to myself as well. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, but my life is much better than it was 3 years ago.

Working at home definitely isn't easy. I know most wouldn't trade it for a thing in the world though. ;)

1 Comments:

  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger Admin said…

    Great post.

    I think once I got more focused my income rose as well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home