A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Christmas Already?

For those of you who know me well, you know I'm not a big fan of Christmas. Without going into too much detail of my personal life, I will tell you my dislike of Christmas started when I was in high school and lost a close friend just a few days before Christmas Eve. It's stuck with me for a long time, and I'm one of those people that associate Christmas with horrible debt, large crowds, standing in lines, and driving all over the state in less than perfect driving conditions making sure we get to every family's Christmas celebration. Yes, I am a Scrooge and I say "Bah humbug".

I am getting better though, since my kids are getting older. I love to see them excited over seeing Santa, the first look under the tree on Christmas morning, and opening presents. That does make me happy, so my Christmas spirit is slowly returning. Also being forced to jump completely into Christmas has changed my tune a bit as well. Being in business you just flat out can NOT say "Bah Humbug" and forget about Christmas products. Marketing I enjoy, so marketing for Christmas has always been fun for me.

However, I'm still in shocked how early Christmas has come this year. I have yet to see any Christmas trees for sale (well, real ones anyway - you can find the fake trees already sitting out on display!), but signs of Christmas are EVERYWHERE. I kid you not, we have already SEEN SANTA! Yes! Can you believe it? My kids both got to talk to them a little, and decided it was about time to write him a letter to tell him what they want. Wow, I haven't even started to think about Thanksgiving yet!

Not only that, but we are almost sold out of our Christmas scents at Prairie Soy Candles. It's obvious we'll have to buy more of those scents, since we've still got two more craft shows to go to as well as a home party or two. I am glad we thought ahead and got the scents so early but wow. I'm just in shock here.

I know for years many of us have joked that Christmas comes earlier every year, and one of these days we're going to be seeing Christmas stuff in October....but who would have thought that wasn't far from the truth?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Anita said…

    Ha! No kidding, I honestly seen one little store around here that had all of their Christmas items tucked sort of out of view over Halloween. As soon as Halloween was over the very next day all their Christmas things were out. Christmas tunes are already playing in the stores. And get this ... while we were Trick-or-Treating this year we DID see Santa, haha. Of course that was his Halloween costume but he definitely stood out amongst everyone else!

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    Isn't that terrible how they put things out so early? But on the marketer's side of it, I totally see WHY - because this time of year people have already started shopping! You HAVE to be the first, even if that means putting it on display so early.

    And oh, our Santa-sighting today was a lame attempt for the shops downtown to get their Christmas plugs in. It was so obvious it was sad - they had Santa "wandering" in and out of shops....and refreshments & snacks in each store. Nothing was outside, and actually I felt like they stomped all over tradition in that town (which is the big "turning on the Christmas lights at the court house" thing the day after Thanksgiving when you see Santa on his sleigh), and as if were trying to make sure no craft show or anyone without a shop got in Christmas sales before them. Left a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest, and I felt it a bit disrespectful to tradition. Maybe that's just the kid in me talking, not sure, but either way it seemed SO fake to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home