A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm sickened

I couldn't believe what I saw today. Out there floating around online is a wahm-based website offering free hosting. You may think "hey that's great!", but too bad their heart is in their wallet instead of actually thinking about the average wahm.

First off, free hosting is NEVER a good idea. If you want a business online, you need to be able to pay $5-10/month for hosting. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't have a website. I know that's harsh, but it's the truth. There's other expenses that go along with business, and if $10 isn't a cost you can swing, you are going to have problems later on.

Second, if you are required to have ads on your site because of the free hosting, you are loosing sales left and right. How many sales do you think you are losing every day when a potential customer clicks on your competition's ad? You might think "doesn't matter to me, I've got all content on my site"... well if that's the case, wouldnt' you rather have your OWN ads on your site and earn money from them? I can gaurantee you would be earning more than the hosting if you did that!

So my major "beef" with this free hosting for wahms is this - they are offering free hosting KNOWING they will be taking potential customers from these wahms AND making a profit from it. It makes me sick, it really does, to know this is going on. I just hope too many people don't get sucked into it.

Just remember - FREE is NOT always GOOD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home