A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Fixing the Yahoo Problem

Well it's been over a month now since the Yahoo glitch took out Mom's Market. Realising it could be awhile before my 500+ page site comes back I started thinking of some ways to step around this problem and get to the income level I was at before. Why I didn't think of this idea before I don't know, but it smacked me in the face yesterday - breaking down the Mom's Market Shops into actual websites. Not ALL the sections, but several. There are a few things that worry me just a bit, like loosing a lot of backward links since all those shop pages won't all be linked together anymore. I could link them, but I fear the search engines may look down on that and think I'm trying to boost my rankings - so I just won't link them all together. I will, however, still have them linked to Mom's Market. It shouldn't make a real big difference, since when all those pages were optimized I really didn't expect them to have more than 2 or 3 backward links at the most.

Anyway, I am doing this very slowly just to test the waters a bit. Yesterday I bought a domain name and hosting from Anita for the Spongebob pages, and will be adding all the Nick and NickJr pages to that website. We will waite and see how that site does before I do any more or buy any more domains.

But really the main purpose of doing this is not only in hopes to see those pages back in Yahoo, but also to protect myself from further glitches. If one of these little sites goes down it won't be as big of a problem as seeing a large 500 page site go down.

I expect to have the first website finished today after the ezine goes out. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Alice said…

    Hey Kara...why don't you start a pay per click campaign, instead? I'm sure that would bring much more immediate results.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    Been there done that...return rate wasn't worth it. We are talking small commissions so the results aren't that good. Good suggestion though Alice!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home