A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Rambling Thoughts On Article Writing

I'm an article writer, and I stress article writing regardless of what business you are in. I've been writing for a few years now, mostly on business topics related to our business newsletters.

However, in the past few weeks I spent some time brainstorming how to use this idea with my retail business. Most articles on writing that you see are for and by those with business related websites. There aren't many out there that aren't business related, and I suppose there's a real market for business related content. But for those that sell retail, non-business items and services, business aritcles are of little use.

So I decided I was going to work on articles that have NOTHING to do with business and everything to do with candles. What a challenge this has turned out to be!

I started with creating a group for product review exchanges, and that is going very well. Mixing good content while selling something at the same time. Keeping in mind those writing the reviews aren't getting paid to write them makes it better too. Those I'm offering to post on Mom's Market, because well that site really needs the original content.

While this idea was good, I needed something more that just an occational review on products of mine. I knew I could come up with something I had more control over, plus could submit to article directories and other sites more often. I also wanted a way to put a little more spice into my newsletter, so it was more than just specials and new products (*yawn* I know there aren't many newsletters like this that I want to sign up to).

Here's what I came up with:

Instead of just boring specials and new products (regardless of how exciting they may be, I know most could care less to get a newsletter that trys to sell to them on a weekly basis), I now have tips and suggestions related to candles. These articles I use in the newsletter are also sent out to various places. The articles do more than just sell a product or candle scent, they actually have good content and ideas for someone trying to decide on a specific candle. Candles are a very large market, so I giving some "personal suggestions" I believe is a good way to stand out and have them take a look at my site first.

Some of the articles topics I came up with:

- Candles for July
(see previous blog post for this article)
- Details on "light" scents and how to use them
- Truth about natural soy wax candles
- Candle burning tips
- Benefits of Tart Warmers

Because of how much I work with candles, I've become somewhat of a "candle expert" when it comes to soy wax candles. I've also been a candle lover for so long and burned enough candles that I know my scents. So it's only natural I write future articles on scents for the season and give suggestions.

I started working on the first article, including it in my newsletter and sending it out to various places. The resource box includes a link to a free report related to a hot candle topic, which visitors will need to subscribe to my newsletter to get. If they are reading the article and are interested in the free report, I know two important things about them:

1. They like candles
2. They like candle articles and tips

Getting them on my newsletter and making more sales is a piece of cake after the articles are writen and sent out. ;)

So far my hard work has resulted in a few new visitors, and an offer to write on a regular basis for a candle directory. Yippie! I've only just begun too, and I know there's still places that will accept my first article.

Anyway, you might be seeing some announcements and hype over a new product comming out here shortly for those that write articles. This post has nothing to do with that, because well, I'm not an affiliate looking for a $100 commission. These are just my ramblings and personal experience. ;)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Huggins said…

    Great thought and very timely Kara! Google seems to be smoking crack lately and dropping good sites so article writing is an important overall traffic strategy.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Anita said…

    Yes! I agree Carrie, very good timing! I will say that luckily I've been practicing article writing for quite some time now but, rest assured I will be kicking it in high gear from now on!

    In my opinion, I don't think it's so much "google smoking crack" (lol!) as it is Google getting tougher in enforcing their regulations. For those that are getting more sneaky in *trying* to trick the search engines and the little tricks being pulled to increase adsense income.

    Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not a huge google fan! Okay, let me re-phrase that before I get banned, lol! It's not that I'm not a "google fan" because believe me, I enjoy those adsense checks just as much as the next and quite a few other features of Google. What I don't like however, is how it seems Google "Rules the Internet" like if you're not following Google you're virtually done.

    Which again, in my opinion I tend to disagree with this also. Yes, of course it's important to have high rankings in the search engine and this of course can immensely increase our income. However, I'm still a true believer in lists (ezines/newsletters etc.) I still say... "The money is in the list." I have and I think I always will.

    Once you gain the respect (and keep it of course) of your lists, you can almost guarantee customers for life. Unless you happen to change you whole outlook at online business. Then that's a whole other blog post, lol! I don't think that subscribers "like change" too often. They want to you to be the same person you were a year ago. Anyway, a whole other post...

    Great topic!
    Anita :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home