A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Friend or Foe?

Over the weekend I witnessed some serious drama on a wahm group. This weekend in general was just wild, but it had me wide awake last night thinking about certain things.

I realised how much of an impact our first impressions have on others. When we first meet someone, there isn't much time before they decide if we could be a friend, or if we are someone to be avoided. It makes me wonder if under different circumstances if those we see as trouble or a problem could have possibly been friends - and vise versa.

If I met a friend on their bad day, would they still be my friend? I've seen them on bad days since and we are still friends.....so why does that first impression have such an impact? Hersy seems to be the same as first impressions. If you hear someone say "avoid them", you usually do. Although what if the person passing along the information is the only one who had a bad experience, while other's haven't?

Think of it this way - how many times have you gotten along with someone, only to later decide they didn't make the best of friends? Proof positive first impressions aren't always right. Also think about this - one person can't possibly get along with everyone. There's reason to believe a group of people are not going to like a specific person, while that person could have tons of friends.

I guess it just amazes me how much stock we put into what others say about certain people. It's one thing to share experiences, but who's to decide one person is "no good"?

On the business side of this, I realise as much as I guestion why we put so much stock in first impressions it makes no difference what I think. Acting on our first feelings is human nature. This is why it's so important to at least give your customers the best first impression as possible.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Friends of Kim Standerline said…

    Ms. Kara Dawn... speaking of friends, it's Rebecca "Becky" Hagel here, just dropping by to say hi and to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. We'll have to catch up one of these days. :)

    Cheers,
    Becky

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    Becky! So good to hear from you! I still get your newsletter, so know you are super busy. :) Hope to catch up soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home