A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Handling those bad wahm days

Let's face it, even those of us that are living out our dream and working at home still have those days where we feel like running out and getting a job just to get away from the stress that goes along with working at home. Yesterday was one of those days for me. The house was a mess, the kids were in constant trouble, my internet connection kept dropping, family problems were flying, and other issues were popping up from everywhere. It was just "one of those days" where what CAN go wrong WILL go wrong, and I'm not exagerating in the least.

So how do you handle those days? Well here's what I did - I shut the computer off, took my kid to school (and if you don't have one in school, locate someone that will take the kids off your hands for a few hours), and sat down to watch a movie. When it was time to pick up my son from preschool we didnt come home, but instead went out to Walmart then out to eat. When I returned home sure it was late, but my partner was more than understanding and had no problems letting me finish up a few tasks I had been trying to accomplish all morning.

If I would have kept on trying to finish what I was doing around all the stuff that was being thrown at me, it would have took me the rest of the day. I would have been stressed out to the max (well, more like thrown compltely over the edge), and it would have been reflected in my work. So walking away for several hours THEN comming back to finish what I needed to do was exactly what I needed to do.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Carrie Huggins said…

    Well said Kara,

    I've had the exact same experience.
    Taking some time off just to putz around is the best prescription for that sometimes, otherwise I end up hollering at my babies and having major mommy guilt.
    :(
    I know what you mean about feeling like running out and getting a job to get away... Every time I go to Starbucks the manager gives me a job application LOL!
    It would be a vacation to do something like that for a living again, but it would stink because they just couldn't pay me enough to take me away from my kids and from my business, which can pay me much more than the manager makes :0

     

Post a Comment

<< Home