A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Content , Traffic, & Links

The other day an interesting post popped up on a popular message board about linking, content, and SEO. There was a comment made that the more content they have, the more people that will link to it, thus increasing their search engine rankings. Sounds good in theory and I can see where this may be true, but let me share with you some interesting facts based on my own experience.

This blog has over 400 entries. How many are there linking to us? Not many, and they are mostly link swaps or comments on other blogs. This blog really isn't read all that much, and most of the traffic comes from BlogExplosion. Random visitors come in from searches on search engines though.

Idea Queen has well over 100 pages of pure content. How much traffic does it get from recommended links? 1 a week if that. All the traffic comes from highly targeted main page link exchanges, articles, and search engines - with the bulk of it being from search engines (I would guess somewhere around 90%).

Don't ever assume your links are going to be passed around, because that's just not reality. The only way to build links is to actively seek out ways to leave your link in places (without being rude or spamming).

The average visitor rarely has time to pass on things they see, and usually doesn't even stop to think of someone that may like it, let alone do something like blog about it or post it on a message board. Plus of course, if you aren't ranked in the search engines and actively building link popularity no one is ever going to find you in the first place TO pass it on.

SEO is an ongoing process. Never take the easy way out! Don't think it's just going to happen without any work, or going to be "automatic". It may be the best way to generate traffic online, but you still have to actually DO something to get those rankings and high volumes of traffic.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger CoffeeCriss said…

    Kara said: Don't think it's just going to happen without any work, or going to be "automatic".

    I so have to agree with you on this one. I have many coaching clients that think that just because they have a website, visitors will automatically start appearing out of nowhere the next day. SEO ratings (unpaid for, that is) takes 2 things: hard work and consistency. A blog is an excellent way to get your ratings up, but as you mentioned, it doesn't mean people will feel impelled to give a "free" link!!

    Here's my plug: Check my small business marketing blog at http://blog.cristinafavreau.com!!

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to say. I very rarely post someone else's link, and when I do it's got to be something really special. News stories are one thing, but just any website or post is different.

    You are 100% correct - it takes hard work and consistency!

     
  • At 6:05 AM, Blogger Anita said…

    If you build it, they will come. Boy oh boy do people ever think that one. However, I must admit, when I first started online I pretty much thought the same thing. I guess that's how Mommy's Helper came into existence. I had a lot of misconceptions in mind and I had a few other WAHMs take my hand and teach me. MH is my way of giving back to the Wahm Community.

    However, there is nothing I hate worse than when you try to help someone and help someone and help some more and that someone doesn't do a darn thing. Doesn't take your advice and/or lets you do all the work. I used to worry about burning bridges and keep pushing ... not anymore. I love to help but help yourself too!

    Hmmm... Guess I got a little off topic on that one. That's a whole other post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home