A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Oh, Stop the Spam!

Some people will do just about anything to get other's ganders up, have a little fun and maybe (I don't see how they could possibly believe this one) they actually think they'll get a few extra visits to their website! One of the first emails I read this morning was from a concerned member of my message boards letting me know that someone had posted spam there. As I was getting ready to go to my boards I had noticed that there were quite a few emails there pretty much saying the same thing. By now I've figured out that these messages must have been of some magnitude because we're all used to a little spam but...what was this about?

After visting my boards I quickly realized WHY so many people had so quickly emailed me. Some non-friendly (for lack of more unprofessional words!) spammer had posted some links to websites of an adult nature! Quickly (Kara and) I found the IP Number of the offender, banned that number and of course deleted the post. I found it necessary to apologize to my loyal members for such messages to appear. I started the long process of changing each and every forum to allow only registered members to post. While I was doing this the spammer had the guts to read my apology and post many many more posts of the same nature! (Of course now I threatened to bring in the authorities!)

So, now I've wasted a good part of my morning changing the administration of the boards and making it an inconvience for someone to stop by and post anything of revelance with out first registering. I didn't want to have to resort to such measures but, what choice do I really have? I'm not stupid enough to believe that that this will stop the spam but I do believe it will put a little more control over it. It's a shame that I'd have to do something like this! I mean did this person REALLY believe that a bunch of work at home moms were going to visit this site?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home