A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Candle Site Moved

I love GoDaddy, I really do. They are very reliable and setting up a site with them is super easy. They work perfect for small sites and sites without "bells and whistles", even if those sites have boatloads of traffic. PHP and databases really don't have many problems, especially message boards and things like that.

Attempting to install and run some scripts on a GoDaddy site is another story.

I recently discovered Zen Cart and GoDaddy don't play nice together. I had no problems before, but the store was a bit slow. Nothing too major, until last week. It was taking ME on cable up to a minute to load EACH PAGE. Completely unacceptable. I'm not completely placing the blame on GoDaddy, because there really is issues with Zen and it's database queries.

So I had two choices here. Find a new shopping cart or find a new host. Both sounded absolutely horrifying.

Looking for a different cart would mean finding something which was as nice as zen for free or paying tons. Then I'd have the added fun of trying to install it, and re-uploading every single product and scent. Then if I didn't like it or if GoDaddy didn't like it either, I'd have to find something else. Uh, no thanks.

Finding a new host would mean I may have to do the same thing - start from scratch and re-upload all the products and scents. Double yuck. Although there was the option of backing up the database and moving it over. I didn't have a CLUE how to do this though.

My final decision was moving to a new host. I decided if I wanted other "extras" on this site, there may be more problems down the road. Absolutely terrified, I backed up the database and jumped in with two feet. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and after a few bumps in the road I managed to fully restore the database on the new server. WOO-HOO!!! I can't tell you how happy I was last night, giggling and zipping through my site which was now moving at the same speed as my cable instead of dial-up like it had been.

I'm easily amused, I know this. I'm happy with my new site though. *GRIN*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home