A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Monday, December 18, 2006

SEO Crazy

I have officially become SEO crazy, and I'm absolutely loving it. Every time I take Cricket's SEO class, I get completely motivated to do more work on all my sites.

I started this class with the intention of working on the new scrapbooking site, but once the lesson on static urls hit I was distracted.

Our candle sales aren't bad by any means. This has been one awesome shopping season. The site has a pretty good ranking for several really good terms, so I'm not complaining. Although ever since I set up zen cart for the actual store front, those icky php links have been bugging me. I knew there was a mod somewhere I could install (I already did for the scrapbooking community boards, and it's the same thing really - php and databases), but I just knew it was going to be a major headache. I finally gave myself a great big kick in the rear and did it....but I was right. It was a big headache. Bugs all over the place! All is working fine now though, and it's finally "SEO friendly".

Of course, since I was playing with the candle site again, I took a look at my home page and realized it needed work too. The copy didn't look to bad and it read just fine (everything where it should be), but the word count was extremely low. I know better than that, and I have no idea why I left it before. So over the weekend I fixed that problem, and added another 300+ words. MUCH better! Let's see how she ranks NOW. *grin*

I really want to get back to working on the scrapbooking site, but now the product information page on the candle site is bugging me. Again the copy isn't bad, but the word count is low. BAD! WHY I just left these and said "good enough" is beyond me. I really DO know better! I know there were several I left on Idea Queen, but that was only because my brain just couldn't come up with anything else to write. I did a semi-fix to that problem though, seeking out additional content from others in exchange for credit (their website link on the page).

There's only one other thing bugging me, and that's this blog right here. You would think since Blogger is owned by Google, they would make it SEO friendly to their own search engine. Ohhhh no, not even close! I've already done some tweeks to the template to make it better, but it's still not where it should be. Too late to move this blog over now - we've had it for FAR too long. We knew better, but this just seemed like the easy thing to do at the time. :(

Well I'm off to get more SEO work done - oh I just love seeing new rankings pop up all over the place! *grin*

2 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kara,

    Cricket's classes are great, and it is great to read your thoughtful questions in the mailing list. I have a six-month old and am really just getting into this online business stuff, so you are a bit of an encouragement for me.

    I'm using Wordpress for my cooking ezine, and am having similar problems: having to modify the template files, and even a plugin that Cricket recommends because the titles generated are all over the shop, and there are no Description or Keyword meta tags at all. Still, it is exciting, and absolutely fascinating trying to find the balance between the machine and the people. SEO and website marketing is this fantastic interface between us and our machine-world microcosm of society. Really cool.

    Mandy

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    Oh it's interesting alright, sometimes downright irritating lol. It's fun trying to find that balance between automated and SEO friendly.

    I did get the meta tags stuck in last week, and did some more tweeking today. Hopefully it will make a difference in the way the pages are indexed at least.

    It's a fun journey to say the least - I especially get excited seeing results!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home