A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year's Eve Word Fun

New year's eve here was quiet interesting. I had no babysitter for my kids, so I was pretty much stuck at home. There was a CSI marathon on that night, and I figured that was going to be the extent of my plans.

My friends had something else in mind though. Since I was stuck at home, they decided to bring the party to me. My best friend (who I've known since we were kids) came over with her kid, husband, and one of their friends. Another one of my close friends also showed up a few minutes before midnight.

The kids had a great time playing together, while us "adults" sat around and talked for awhile. Once they were in bed though, the alcohol came out. Yes I drank, but only wine. Well, at least until someone thought it would be interesting to put something a bit harder into my glass without me knowing. I don't remember much past 3am, and waking up with my daughter at 8am was not very fun. Thankfully my friends were still here, and one felt so bad she let me sleep an extra hour. At least until the Tylenol kicked in. ;)

Anyway, back to the point of this post.

I have some very smart friends. I kept hearing them use the word "inebriated", and couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Used in context, I figured it meant drunk, but wasn't sure. I finally asked what the heck that word meant. That's when they looked at me and said "It means your DRUNK!". HA! Aren't friends great?

So in an attempt to make myself look less stupid, I blurted out "I'm an online copywriter, I'm not suppose to know big words!". I don't think they had the foggiest clue as to what I was talking about, but I felt better anyway.

It's the truth though! Writing sales letters and other copy online means using small words. Rule of thumb is you write at a 9th grade level. Everyone should be able to understand what the heck you are trying to say. Now really, if I would have said "Man was I inebriated on New Year's!", would you have a clue what I was talking about? Well, maybe if you knew me and how much I like wine....HA! Just kidding, I'm not an alcoholic. ;)

There's my fun story from New Year's. Hope I'm not the only one who was a little "inebriated" by the end of the night, asking really stupid questions. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home