A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Things we forget in marketing

Several years ago when I was big into affiliate marketing I gobbled up all kinds of information. Everything from SEO marketing to page design. One of the coolest things I ever learned was the psychology of colors in marketing.

What this basically means is certain colors trigger certain feelings with customers. Way back when I read that the color red is associated with impulse buying (had a heck of a time finding another site that said this, but here it is). Just as a test one time, I tweeked a page that was getting around 5 sales a day at the time. Changed the background to red, and the sales doubled.

I didn't completely forget this tip. It stuck with me for quite some time. We tested the theory at craft shows too. Switched out our white table cloth for a red one - sales doubled again.

Now of course if you've got a big ticket item and people aren't so quick to buy, red isn't the color to be using. You probably will have a ton of angry people leaving the site immediately (note you usually see sales letters with a dark blue/navy background)

Why I chose to leave out this basic tip I'll never know. When I was revamping Idea Queen and sticking in solid products to sell, the thought of changing the colors on the site never crossed my mind. Couldn't figure out why my conversion rates were so sucky. Duh.

So I did a revamp today. Thankfully when I started the revamp at Idea Queen about a year ago, the first thing I did was stick in CSS. One file to edit, GO ME for my smart moment! *GRIN*

Let me know what you think of the new colors and new logo on the 'internal' pages (such as the Money Saving Ideas page and Birthday Party Ideas page). I'm still not sure about it as a whole, but hoping it increases sales.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Val said…

    I like the new logo and background color. Thanks for the article link on the color choices. Nice to know some of mine are spot on for what I wanted to create.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home