A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Part-Time Childcare

Okay...so I'm still trying to get over the guilt but....

I've finally made arrangements for part-time childcare for my 4 year old son. I've been talking about doing this for a long time now but, do to some home arrangements, it wasn't going to work out. Things have been all straightened out now

For now this is only for one day a week. As it stands right now, my son has no other children to play with here at home all day long. I've been slowly trying to phase out my home daycare and there are no other children here during school hours. My opinion is that children need interaction with other children too.

The childcare that I've arranged for him will give him one day a week to play with other kids too. The provider is a very good friend of mine and they both love each other to pieces so the definitely helps in the guilt field.

I know that one of the main reasons I decided to work at home was because of my children (and still is) so this tends to make me feel guilty. BUT...

I was tired of someone else raising my children.
I don't think one day a week necessarily means someone else is raising my child.

I wanted to be available if one of my children got sick or had an event that I wanted to attend.
I'll still be able to do both of these.

We can't always be expected to run a home business, keep a household and keep the children with us 24/7. Besides, if I worked in "Corporate America" with a tradional job, I wouldn't be expected to have my son with me, would I?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Carrie Huggins said…

    Good for you!
    You'll get so much done in that day that you'll likely spend more focused time with him the rest of the week.
    One day a week is more like a long playdate than childcare ;)

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Anita said…

    Thanks Carrie! Boy, it sure is tough getting over the guilt isn't it? I don't know how much time I spent explaining to some family members that I needed to be home with our children. Now just to turn around and say that I've put him in part-time childcare? Some weren't too convinced but then again, none of them ever tried working at home w/ children either. Maybe I should give them a week of taking him to work with them?? Think that'll work?? LOL! And thinking it of a long play date is a much better way to look at it. Yesterday was his 'semi-first' day there and he had a blast! It definitely made me feel good when I got to sit down with him and here all about his day. He sure doesn't have any complaints!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home