A Tale of 2 WAHMs

Ramblings of 2 WAHMs - Anita DeFrank and Kara Kelso. Partners in business discuss how we manage successful websites and young children at home.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Stop with the crappy websites!

A little harsh? Eh, I guess so but yuck!

I'm talking about the cookie cutter-type adsense websites. First of all, don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using adsense on a website. I have them on my websites and even here on our blog. However, how about we include some content with those ads instead of having ads with a little bit of content.

I guess I'm lucky because I have my very own test subject here at home (shhh ... don't ever tell him!) My husband really doesn't know a whole lot about what I do onlne. He has some basic ideas but other than that ... the only thing he really likes to know about is my PayPal account, lol. (Okay, now that didn't make him sound too good, did it? You know what I mean.)

Anyway, he does enjoy going online to do searches for whatever topic he's interested in at that moment. Needless to say there's nothing that pisses him off more is when he clicks on a website and the first thing he sees is a bunch of ads. You know how long that holds his attention? Maybe about 5 seconds and he's hitting the back button to the search engine page. He doesn't even bother scrolling down. (He's actually kind of funny to watch because I'm serious ... this really ticks him off.) After a while he'll yell out something like "Well, it's about time I find something to read other than an ad!"

So, take it from my "average joe test subject" here.

- The average person does NOT want to see a bunch of ads so don't over do it.

- They don't want ads to be the first thing they see.

- They want to read a little something before they have to click yet another link. Too much clicking from this to that to that ... and they're gone. People don't want to have to click over and over again.

- Make your ads look like they belong in the content. Make it look like they're simply clicking for more information.

Oh, and let's make sure the content includes facts that are correct, lol! Sounds like a pretty worthless piece of advice (ya know, a no-brainer), doesn't it? That's what I thought too but take a look at Patty's blog post Don’t Waste My Time by Pretending to be an Expert and Dianne has a little bit to say on her post Do You Use Adsense?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Ladybug Dawn said…

    I've been saying this for quite awhile - give me what I'm looking for on the page, or don't even bother. Unless you have useful information, don't waste my time with nothing but ads!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home